Tony B. Academic Travel Award
The Tony B. Academic Travel Award honors Tony Beugelsdijk, Los Alamos National Laboratory, an Association for Laboratory Automation (ALA) co-founder who passed away in August, 2009. Tony played a very inspirational and instrumental role in laboratory robotics and made significant contributions to ALA, the former LabAutomation conference and exhibition, and the scientific community as a whole. We are honored to remember him through a program that recognizes up-and-coming researchers who have demonstrated outstanding achievement in laboratory science and technology.
Tony B. Academic Travel Award
...for Students, Post-Doctoral Fellows and Junior Faculty
Students, graduate students, post-doctoral associates, and junior faculty (less than four years in first academic appointment) may apply for this prestigious travel award. The applicant must be the primary author of a submitted abstract and must present their research in either a poster or oral (podium) session at the conference.
Award applications are reviewed by members of the selection panel and are based on a number of factors, including but not limited to:
- Quality of the abstract
- Relevance of the research to the SLAS2016 conference
- Statement of value of the conference
- Qualifications of the applicant
Multiple applicants from a single research group are allowed to apply for the award. However, such applicants should understand that award application reviewers may prioritize the applications such that only one individual per investigator's research group will receive an award, based on funding availability and the criteria stated above.
Important Deadline Note:
If you want your submission considered for a podium presentation, your application must be received by Monday, August3, 2015. After this date, all abstracts will be considered for poster presentations only.
Tony B. Academic Travel Award Details of Covered Expenses:
- Airfare: Coach or Super saver. Travel arrangements made through any booking agent other than an SLAS agent will be refunded at actual cost or at "fair market rate" as provided by SLAS agent, whichever is lower. Maximum funding for airfare limits are set by SLAS and communicated during the confirmation process. These funding limites are subject to change by SLAS.
- Personal Auto: Mileage will be reimbursed (only in lieu of airfare) at the 2015IRS standard as published by the United States Government. Rental cars and/or parking are not reimbursed under any circumstances.
- Conference Registration & Short Courses: Full conference registration as well as registration for a one-day short course (space limited for short courses) is included. Any costs associated with required text books or computers will be the responsibility of the individual. If an awardee chooses a two-day course, the additional day will be the responsibility of the individual, at the applicable rate communicated by the SLAS Professional Team. Complimentary registration will not be offered for hands-on or computer courses.
- Accommodations: Accommodations will be provided by the SLAS housing office on a shared basis for a maximum of 4 nights (2 people per room) at an official SLAS hotel. If award recipient does not wish to share a room, then half of hotel cost will be reimbursed (2 nights).
Travel awards do not include a per-diem for food, rental car reimbursement, ground transportation, parking, taxi service or other incidental expenses. Most meals are included with conference registration.
Award Application Process:
To submit for consideration for this award you must submit an abstract via the SLAS2016 Call for Abstracts. To view abstract submission guidelines or to begin the submission process, please click here.
During the abstract submission process, you will be given the option to opt in to participate in the award. You will be required to provide:
- Abstract Submission including title, presenter and author information.
- Contact information and letter of support from a faculty mentor or department chairperson.
- You will be required to upload your letter of support during the abstract submission process. (doc, docx, pdf)
- Brief statement of perceived value for attending SLAS2016.
- Maximum 50 words
Please contact Mary Geismann, SLAS Manager of Member Services at firstname.lastname@example.org.